Product Roadmap: What's Coming Next
How ColorX Technology Turn Night into Day
Reolink App v4.41 Released
I wanted to mount my spiffy new RLC-423S against a fence in my apiary:[url=http://www.kan.org/download/ApiaryPanorama.jpg][img]http://www.kan.org/download/ApiaryPartial.jpg[/img][/url](click to ginormify)so that the camera faces inward, toward the hive entrances the face to the right (they've been moved backward/eft by about 18" since that photo was taken).The vertical bars in that fence are square in cross-section, so I need something like a pole mount. I ended up [url=https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JCQDCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]buying this box[/url], and modifying it as follows:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/Enclosure.jpg[/img]Holes drilled to match the camera, to bring the cables into the box, and for the [url=https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJLZSI4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1]waterproof egress[/url]:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/Drilled.jpg[/img][url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-6-in-x-6-in-Rubber-Packing-Sheets-59859/303689103]Gasket material[/url], cut and punched to match:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/Gasket.jpg[/img]Wired up with a [url=https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J6JP8XE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1]pa*sive POE extractor[/url] and a short length of Cat5e. The matching injector is at the other end of the cable, along with the bundled Reolink power supply. This camera also works with 802.3af, but I don't have a POE switch down in the shed where this is all connected. This ma*s of cabling is why I needed the enclosure. Reolink does supply a waterproof coupling for the Ethernet connection, but they don't supply a way to protect the other cables in the octopus. And I ended up need every cubic inch inside the box. Once it's all coiled up, it's a pretty tight fit:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/Connected.jpg[/img]All screwed together. I needed some 1/4-20 x 3/4" bolts and nuts to attach the camera to the lid, because Reolink supplies only wood screws and drywall anchors. I put a dab of silicone into the original cable egress hole on the camera housing (not shown). I also have half a sheet of that rubber packing material glued to the back side, where it will snug up against the fence:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/A*sembled.jpg[/img]I couldn't find U-bolts the same width as the mounting holes in the enclosure, so I bought a length of [url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-4-in-20-tpi-x-36-in-Zinc-Plated-Threaded-Rod-802217/204274011]1/4-20 threaded rod[/url] and made my own and wrapped them with a bit of duct tape:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/UBolts.jpg[/img]Originally I thought I was going to put these on in the reverse orientation, and then put a length of metal on the opposite side of the post, but my U-bolts weren't bent perfectly, nor at a sharp enough angle to permit that, so I have the nuts on this side. The original thought was also why I put the cable egress on the side instead of the bottom, since I thought it was going to interfere with the U-bolt. This works better, because I need fewer pieces, but I do have to turn the nuts a lot, and it's a bit difficult to tighten the last few turns, with little clearance, wearing beekeeping gloves:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/UBoltAttached.jpg[/img]And here it is, in service. The rubber backing and the duct tape actually work very well to keep the camera secure against the fence. I don't have to tighten the nuts very much. In fact I need a lot of slack to move it up and down into position, because it really wants to stick to the fence:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/Mounted.jpg[/img][url=https://www.youtube.com/user/IAmTheWaterbug/live]Live stream is here[/url], but it's intermittent while I'm testing:[img]http://www.kan.org/pictures/BeeCam2018.jpg[/img]The stream doesn't work all the time. I have a Raspberry Pi acting as an [url=https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=136381&start=125#p1150700]ffmpeg relay[/url] right now. It uses ffmpeg to grab the RTSP packets from the camera and push them to my RTMP YouTube channel. It does no resizing or re-encoding, but it does do some minor repackaging into flv format. It only takes a few CPU%, but it quits every so often for reasons that I'm still trying to figure out.It would be nice if Reolink could offer a pole mount and a way to protect the other cables when their POE cameras are mounted outside, but not against a wall.
That is just one awesome DIY job there!I admire your work.I too use junction boxes to hide those cables inside for my outdoor IPCs.It's so fun doing that!
Hi there! Join the Commnunity to get all the latest news, tips and more!